Head of Department: Mrs M Harris
- Mrs J Downing
- Mrs J Green
- Mrs V Lewis
- Mrs S Mires
Art & Design embodies some of the highest forms of human creativity. We have a high level of success within the Art department at Churston. Art is a popular subject within the school and the Art rooms are always alive with activity and buzzing with students – at lunchtimes as well as during lessons. A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge students, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture and creativity of society.
Our curriculum at Churston:
• Challenges all students to be the best that they can become.
• Provide students with core knowledge required to be successful.
• Develops students who are resilient: creative, reflective and lifelong learners.
• Is coherent and draws links between cross curricular themes.
• Provides learning that accelerates our students’ understanding of the world around them.
• Equips our students with ambition and aspirations so that they become happy and successful members of society.
• Enables students to have a range of qualifications that facilitate their next steps in their education and career.
What we do
Students study art through a rich variety of project themes; they are given the opportunity to experience
different approaches to art and design through both historical and contemporary artists.
- Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC)
Colour in Landscapes:
Fayum Mummies & Contemporary Portraiture (C)
Plastic Ocean (S)